Re: One for the history books

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 11:42:29 MDT

  My own best
> theory as to
> > why a number of famous people who admit that
> cryonics would work,
> > e.g. Issac Asimov, never bothered to get
> themselves frozen, is
> > that they had begun to live for their fame.

I had the pleasure of meeting the Good Doctor while
I was in college in New York, and perhaps can give
you some insight into his personality. Despite
being a science fiction author (and an author on
just about every other subject), Asimov was still
very much a product of his early 20th century
Russian Jewish immigrant upbringing. He was somewhat
of a technophobe, as evidenced by his fear of flying
and use of an electric typewriter when many people
had converted to PCs.

My guess is that the creators of these ideas, like
Asimov, often don't internalize them, because they
didn't grow up with them. Another aspect is that
Asimov by inclination and training was a 'scientist'.
That meant being an observer, not a participant.

As far as fame-seeking activities, my understanding
of human personalities is that there are about 15
factors in the human personality that appear with
varying strength in each person. Several of them
can be satisfied by being famous (the desires for
status, money, and sex being among them). Only if
a person doesn't exhibit any of these factors do
we need to resort to other explanations for fame-
seeking.

Dani