Re: One for the history books

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 13:13:18 MDT

Dani Eder wrote:
> As far as fame-seeking activities, my understanding
> of human personalities is that there are about 15
> factors in the human personality that appear with
> varying strength in each person. Several of them
> can be satisfied by being famous (the desires for
> status, money, and sex being among them). Only if
> a person doesn't exhibit any of these factors do
> we need to resort to other explanations for fame-
> seeking.

If a human were a designed intelligence, that would be so. But the
evolved human psychology often has innate drives that are
normative-but-not-actual subgoals of other innate drives. There is a
specific emotion that creates the desire for fame, as such, apart from any
of its anticipated consequences. Evolutionarily, the desire exists
because of the reproductive benefits in the ancestral environment;
psychologically, it is an independent innate drive with a distinct feel to