Re: One for the history books

From: Jimmy Wales (jwales@bomis.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 15:03:51 MDT

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> If a human were a designed intelligence, that would be so. But the
> evolved human psychology often has innate drives that are
> normative-but-not-actual subgoals of other innate drives. There is a
> specific emotion that creates the desire for fame, as such, apart from any
> of its anticipated consequences. Evolutionarily, the desire exists
> because of the reproductive benefits in the ancestral environment;
> psychologically, it is an independent innate drive with a distinct feel to
> it.

While I think this is a very interesting theory, it should probably be pointed out
that this is highly speculative and unproven, at least at the level of proof that
we should desire when thinking practically about the hardcore implementation of
intelligence.

*            http://www.nupedia.com/            *
*      The Ever Expanding Free Encyclopedia     *