Re: Time and Minds

From: Aaron McBride (amcbride@jps.net)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 10:07:46 MDT

At 09:17 PM 9/21/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>My guess is the world wouldn't be so crappy, if it was a singularity, and
>there is also no apparent Sysop either. This is a world of pain, otherwise
>there would be no push for a singularity.
>
>Mitch

Unless it turns out that we would be even more miserable without some pain
here and there.

Of course, it's not testable whether or not the Singularity has already
happened (as far as I know "real" life could be an illusion too).
Suppose the Singularity has already happened... shouldn't we still work to
improve this illusion? It's the journey don't you know. :)
Suppose it hasn't... then we must work to improve this real life.
Either way, we need to keep working on making life better.

I think we're all in agreement on this... of course it is a fun distraction
to try to figure out why there is pain and suffering if it doesn't really
need to be that way. My guess is that it adds some contrast to make the
rest of eternity (the afterlife?) that much better.

-Aaron