Singularity graphics

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 18:01:39 MDT

How would one go about designing a logo for the Singularity Institute?
This logo should ideally serve the following functions:

1) It should communicate who we are and what we do;

2) It should be memorable;

3) It should look cool - beautiful, if possible;

4) It should be possible to change it to black-and-white and still be
recognizable;

5) It should make sense (not be misleading) even if it's the very first
thing a viewer sees on entrance to our site.

An example of a logo that serves all of these functions very well - almost
perfectly, in fact - is the Foresight Institute's molecular gear logo,
symbolizing molecular nanotechnology.

We are also taking general suggestions for graphics and pictures. (A
"graphic" might be, for example, a recognizable and reusable symbol for
"Friendly AI" or "seed AI". There's probably less place for pictures as
such - "picture" meaning a whole scene with multiple elements in the
traditional artistic sense.)

I'll post shortly with some of the ideas SIAI's Board came up with, but
first I'd like to hear if SL4 has any ideas.