Re: New Term: Apexmind?

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 21:58:42 MST

On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 11:07 PM, Damien Broderick wrote:

> I'd suggest Prefect: one delegated the authority to maintain
> discipline. It
> has unpleasant school connotations, of course, as well as interesting
> French judicial overtones; just so.

But, it still has the built in sense being on top. I'd almost be
tempted to refer to the Sysop as the Moderator, but Moderator is a bit
weak, though certainly less threatening (and, I don't know about you,
but who but maybe 31337 h4><0Rz don't like a moderator).

Thinking about it, though, I wonder if Sysop is really that threatening
a term. I mean, when I first learned about the Sysop, it was through
the list a tainted by opinions. In other words, I didn't have the facts
about what the Sysop Theory really was. So, the question I'd like to
pose to some of our newer members is if the Sysop seems threatening
reading about it now, either via Eliezer's intro in CFAI or mine at:

http://homepage.mac.com/sing_rc/papers/sysop.html

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose