Re: Microsoft aflare

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 18:33:13 MST

Eugene Leitl wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>

>>Frankly I think Flare is much to married to XML to have a chance of
>>developing into a truly innovative and effective language.
>>

> For the record, I claim AI is a large scale massively numerical (not
> necessarily float, in fact a I would advice to stick to integers strictly)
> crunch application. Plus, bootstrapping resources are rather excessive, as
> you have to necessarily traverse more barren fitness landscapes first.

At the most I could see some low level implementation as fitting
this description. Obviously this implementation level would not
be programmer friendly in the least whether that programmer was
human or the AI. Obviously also, this layer is not the
conceptual layer or the self-aware thinking layer or any layer
that any programmers bug those concerned with lowest level
optimization should care or even necessarily know about.

> Your first fielded alpha must demonstrate robust (i.e. not dying an
> instant death) modification of its own code base as a first milestone.

Why is this a *first* milestone?

> Whatever languages you use, they must fit those rather harsh initial
> boundary conditions.

The upper level language needn't look at all like the lower
levels. So the "harsh" stuff doesn't need to be visible all
over every part of the project.

- samantha