Re: New Novamente team members sought...

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 07:33:35 MST

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> We are implementing what we believe will, when complete, be a "Real AI", and
> a seed AI capable of initiating a hard takeoff. We have a fairly complete
> mathematical design for the system (in the form of a 300-page book
> manuscript, not published), and we have detailed software designs for many
> components.

I see. I guess I'd better administer the oath, then, with the remainder of
the SL4 list standing in for the human species as witnesses.

Do you, Ben Goertzel, having declared your intention to entangle yourself in
the Singularity and thereby make the death or survival of humanity partially
and perhaps wholly dependent on your actions, acknowledge that the
responsibility you have accepted transcends all other considerations, and
swear that you shall hold it inviolable? Do you swear that, insofar as you
may have any especial ability to influence the course of humanity, you shall
never use this ability for any personal consideration, and you shall act
only under the name of all humanity or all sentient life, and not for any
lesser group or faction?

For someone entangled the Singularity, all oaths except the final, basic
commitment to "do right" must be revocable, for the same reason a Friendly
AI's supergoal content must be probabilistic; we could always turn out to be
wrong. But this oath is binding until such time as you publicly amend it or
publicly renounce it.

And yes, I have taken this oath myself:

I, Eliezer Yudkowsky, having declared my intention to entangle myself in the
Singularity and thereby make the death or survival of humanity partially and
perhaps wholly dependent on my actions, acknowledge that the responsibility
I have accepted transcends all other considerations, and swear that I shall
hold it inviolable. I swear that, insofar as I may have any especial
ability to influence the course of humanity, I shall never use this ability
for any personal consideration, and I shall act only under the name of all
humanity or all sentient life, and not for any lesser group or faction.