Re: Singularity sooner...?

From: Alfio Puglisi (puglisi@arcetri.astro.it)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 09:53:52 MST

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Carlo Wood wrote:

>It seems much more likely to me that the first Mind will do
>everything it can to survive and have only one (secret) goal:
>remove the threat to its existance called 'humanity'.

Why? Don't think about SIs as they were human beings. Somehow I doubt that
a Hollywood movie plot (Terminator, Matrix, etc) like the one that you
are describing is a credible threat.

>Instead, it will start manipulation and politics 1) in order to
>get enough power to make its survival secure. Once we humans
>realize what is going on it will be too late to pull the plug
>and within a few decades we will be no more than dangerous
>rats who have to be exterminated.

And where does this strong survival instinct come from? An AI is not an
animal with evolved behaviours. An AI is built by humans.

Alfio