Seed AI Essentials [was RE: Threats to the Singularity.]

From: Stephen Reed (reed@cyc.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 15:35:40 MDT

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Ben Goertzel wrote:

> I think that in a few decades, it will be possible for students in an AI
> class to build an AGI during the course of a semester, making use of
> programming languages and toolkits that are nowhere near available as yet.

Yes, I believe you get the point of my thought exercise which is that
it might be the case that the kernel capabilities to achieve Seed AI, are
modest compared to the overall capabilities delivered by AGI. So I wonder
(as have yourself and others on this list have wondered) just what those
essential capabilities might be?

-Steve

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  reed@cyc.com
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org