Re: Who will launch the Singularity?

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 22:39:01 MDT

James Higgins wrote:
> At 03:26 PM 6/28/2002 -0400, Smigrodzki, Rafal wrote:
>
>> Ben wrote:
>>
>> I think there will come a time where a lot of computer hardware is the
>> key to further progress. But that's it, really... I don't think any
>> other kind of "muscle" providable by gov't or big industry will be
>> important
>>

>> ### So the SAI's first interlocutors *might* be the generals, or god
>> forbid, the current commander in chief, if re-elected! Scary.
>

> Could we please stay clear of political opinions on here. I'm certain
> many people on here do not agree with your opinion about the "current
> commander in chief" and all your doing here is creating the opportunity
> for a useless (in the eyes of the Singularity) debate.

Why? The debate needs some grounding. When there are proposals
afloat to have the FAI be developed by military and under orders
from the Commander in Chief it is very important to look at what
that can mean in very real life terms starting precisely from
where we are. Anyone that would not be scaried given the
current situations and proclivities of such deployment and
control of SAI is in my opinion vastly disconnected from reality
- quite dangerously so.

> Besides, most views of a political figure's actual morals, based solely
> on their "public life" or career, are almost certainly to be wrong.
> That includes my views on political figures I dislike as well. If the
> situation you suggest were to appear likely I'd like to get them
> involved in a forum such as this for many months before making any
> personal judgements about their morals (of course this would never
> happen - though).

All I need to do is look at the public figure's public actions
and statements to decide what I think of them qua public figure
and how much of a danger I believe they represent. The stated
endless War plans of the current administration are more than
sufficient to gauge the advisability of having any real AI owned
by the military or the government

- samantha