Re: Intelligence and wisdom

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 11:58:26 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

>>Um... this an argument about the real relationship of the *referents* of
>>two human-language concepts, "intelligence" and "wisdom", which may be
>>possibly be constructed in such a way as to have no solid referent.
>
> As I usually hear/use the terms, we have words, which have referents that
> are concepts.

I'm sorry for not making this clearer. Whenever I use the word
"referent" I mean the actual real-world referent in outside reality.
Words are signals which invoke concepts and imagery, which in turn bind
to referents in external reality. See also the idea in LOGI of sensory,
predictive, and manipulative bindings between reality and concepts,
beliefs, and imagery.

Thus, I am asking about the relation of those real-world events that we
refer to as "minds exhibiting intelligence" to those real-world events
that we refer to as "minds exhibiting wisdom".