Re: Are we gods yet?

From: Cliff Stabbert (cps46@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 21:34:32 MDT

Friday, July 26, 2002, 9:41:31 PM, Dani Eder wrote:

DE> I've had it on my list of things to do when I have
DE> too much time on my hands (i.e. never) to go through
DE> the Bible and list all the things God did, then see
DE> how many of them we now can do. Then take the list
DE> of things we can't yet do and make it my 'to do' list.

I don't have the Gospel of Thomas to hand, but recall being struck
by a few of the preconditions for entering Heaven -- "not until X
shall ye enter the Kingdom of Heaven", where X was:
  - the male becomes female, and the female male (done, varying
    degrees of success)
  - ye make an image replacing an image (done)
  - ye make a hand replacing a hand (pretty close, afaik)

Note: my recollection of the Gospel of Thomas could be off. I believe
all the "conditions" needed to be met, and there were more. (Perhaps
these were less "conditions" than "coincidences", i.e. by the time
you enter heaven you'll notice you've also done a, b and c.)

Also of possible relevance is a quote from Stewart Brand, erstwhile
editor of the Whole Earth Catalog and arguably early explicit
neophile: "We are as Gods, and may as well get good at it."

So my short take is "No", but we're getting there -- and I concur with
Brand that we may as well try to do it right, which makes things like
CFAI worth studying.

--
Cliff