RE: Expansion vs. navel-gazing

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 08:10:11 MDT

Eliezer wrote:
> I realize we don't know what choices smarter-than-human intelligences
> would make, but the choice to sit and contemplate your own navel seems a
> lot more anthropomorphic than the alternative. Even if you don't want to
> reproduce, or you don't want to reproduce too often, you'll still want to
> grow your mind over time.

I don't follow why "to sit and contemplate ... seems a lot more
anthropomorphic than the alternative."

Why? Both alternatives describe seem about equally anthropomorphic to me.

Also, the assumption that use of matter and energy are needed for
mind-expansion may be anthropomorphic.

So may be the assumption that matter and energy reserves are finite. Within
infinite reserves available, the supermind may as well leave humans alone
and work with the nonsentient matter/energy, assuming it can only absorb
matter/energy at a finite rate.

-- Ben G