Re: Expansion vs. navel-gazing

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 05:40:16 MDT

On Monday 09 September 2002 22:10, you wrote:
> Eliezer wrote:
> > I realize we don't know what choices smarter-than-human intelligences
> > would make, but the choice to sit and contemplate your own navel seems a
> > lot more anthropomorphic than the alternative. Even if you don't want to
> > reproduce, or you don't want to reproduce too often, you'll still want to
> > grow your mind over time.

I have had some computer trouble so I missed a message or two in this thread.
However, contemplation and meditation are not at all well characterized by
"contemplate your own navel". It is not passive or unproductive or
wasteful. Consider it a tuning and exploring of the mind from within the
mind if you will. A smarter-than-human intelligence, especially one able to
more deeply see its own processes consciously, is likely to be even more
involved in and more proficient at such practices. There is also in
meditation that which is beyond any simple notion of self-introspection. It
arises naturally. I have no reason to believe that it would not also arise
in un-human or posthuman or SAI minds as well. I don't see what the heck
reproduction has to do with this one way or another. Nor do I see where it
is anthropomorphic. That word seems to be used with a bit too much abandon
hereabouts.

- samantha