Re: What if the Singularity has already happened?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 21:08:07 MST

Dan McGuirk wrote:

> Maybe you haven't opened all of the "existence-altering" doorways. For
> example, you could try:
> -- meditation
> -- falling in love
> -- writing poetry
> -- doing drugs
> -- skydiving
>
> Basically, anything that produces an experience well outside of what's
> normal for you-- ideally an intensely emotional one.
>
> If you keep opening lots and lots of doors, with a strong intent to get
> to a certain reality, maybe you'll find it.
>
> (Not that you can't find it by following the path you're on, mind you.
> But the one you have your heart set on isn't always the most direct route.)

Not appropriate for SL4. Try wta-talk.

Those of you wondering why McGuirk was not actually *banned*, as similar
posters have been in the past: He spelled everything correctly. He
completed his sentences without any trailing ellipses... He was, despite
being wrong, coherent. Maybe my standards are getting too low, but it's
getting to the point where I'm actually willing to give people like that a
second chance.