Re: Infinite universe

From: Paul Hughes (psiphius@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 10:07:34 MDT

--- "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:

> You are of course entitled to your opinion, but the
> overwhelming body
> of evidence is that you are wrong. "Intuition" and
> "gut reactions"
> would tell you that much which we know to be true is
> nonsense, and yet
> we can verify it. "Intuition" is useless when it
> comes to things that
> are far beyond the world we evolved for.

Sorry, but this is ridiculous. As someone who earned a
BS in mathematics, I can tell you that more than half
of my understadning and subsequent success came from
my intuition. Back in the 1980's I came to the
conclusion that all formal, informal and yet to be
discovered mathematics have a basis for physical
existence. Sure, I didn't have proof of this, but a
combination of logical deductive reasoning and
intuition led me to that conclusion. Now 15 years
later, we have physicists like Tegmark making the same
more detailed and developed conclusions on at least
2/3 of my proposition.

In the last 20 years I have yet to see a single major
advance on the nature of the universe not fit within
my intuitional insights of how I suspected the
universe works.

Intution alone may not solve the problem, but in cases
like this it has always leads me in the right
direction, which in turn was invariably and logically
demonstrated by myself or others.

Perhaps for you Perry your intuition is useless to
you. However, to go on and say that ALL intution is
useless for things beyond which we evolved for is a
very strong statement with little to back it up, as
there is no way for you or anyone else to account for
all of it going on in the noosphere.

Paul

P.S. Simon is correct about Einstien. Almost of all
of Special Relativity was entirely derived by
Einstiens intuition, which he later demonstrated
mathematically when he got the proper training in the
necessary tensor calculus.