Re: No need to rush AGI development?

From: Philip Sutton (Philip.Sutton@green-innovations.asn.au)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 18:29:43 MDT

Hi Bill,

You've suggested that there's no need to rush the development of
AGIs.

I've been trying to work out what might encourage people to be in a
hurry.

One possible reason is that some people feel that we have to
accelerate the pace of scientific development to enable humans to find
means to stop automatic aging or to find ways to upload people into
cyberspace as an alternative to halting biological aging. AGIs might
play a useful part in this acceleration so I can see that some people
might have a strong very personal motivation to get on with the job.

Another possible motivator is to ensure that the first successful AGI
development is in the hands of people who are not driven by corrupt
motivations.

Cheers, Philip