Re: No need to rush AGI development?

From: Bill Hibbard (test@demedici.ssec.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 15:17:47 MDT

Hi Philip,

> You've suggested that there's no need to rush the development of
> AGIs.
>
> I've been trying to work out what might encourage people to be in a
> hurry.
>
> One possible reason is that some people feel that we have to
> accelerate the pace of scientific development to enable humans to find
> means to stop automatic aging or to find ways to upload people into
> cyberspace as an alternative to halting biological aging. AGIs might
> play a useful part in this acceleration so I can see that some people
> might have a strong very personal motivation to get on with the job.
>
> Another possible motivator is to ensure that the first successful AGI
> development is in the hands of people who are not driven by corrupt
> motivations.

You have a good point that the trusted AGIs need to keep
ahead of the untrusted AGIs (I certainly thought that, but
didn't make it clear). The strategy should be to use
regulation to slow down unsafe AGI development (by denying
them open access to resources), and to use the large
resources of cooperating corporations and government for
trusted AGIs. The important thing is to not compromise
safety for lower budgets and faster schedules.

Cheers,
Bill