Re: Matrix Reloaded Non-Review

From: James Martin Luther (james@jamesmartinluther.com)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 23:21:26 MDT

> sentiments are tempered, admitting the human's need for machines. The
> AI's are more human in /Reloaded/, with diverse personalities and
> emotional responses. Rather

Maybe even more than human. The diverse and free-willed nature of the
rogues in the Matrix (and the fact that there were self-acting rogues
at all) completely changed my in-movie "worldview". The hegemonic
Matrix turned out to be a loose system exploiting and controlling
agents with varying loyalties and capabilities.

In Matrix Reloaded, Neo was even an expected aspect of the system.

Although there are many annoying elements to the Matrix, the movie has
many of the benefits of an ancient Greek play. Well, hazards, too.
These philosophical perspectives are very hard to convey without the
long monologues, silly premises, and hyper-allegorical characters. The
effects offered the characters a good mask to hide behind.

The Matrix has a lot to offer us in terms of how we deal with
potentially dangerous machines, on a moral level, and on a practical
level.

Perhaps it is to be as it has been in the past with dangerous weapons:
a perilous balancing game.

- JML