RE: Friendliness and blank-slate goal bootstrap

From: Mike Williams (mikew12345@cox.net)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 14:13:14 MDT

Just to throw another kink into it:

Since natural childbirth is so painful for both the mother and child,
and C-section is available to anyone who wants it, why is natural
childbirth still practiced? (If the mother gains somehow from the
experience, is it still justified in terms of the pain caused to the
child?)
Mike

>Tentative morale of the story: real end-of-the-chain qualia-grade pain
is never pleasurable.
>Somewhere between the sensory input [situation commonly perceived as
painful] and the
>triggering of the appropriate emotion, something can go wrong, for
whatever reason, and
>things that should be painful end up feeling pretty good, thank your
parents and move
>on :) Or you have a mix of both but the pleasure is intense enough to
overcome the pain.