RE: Friendliness and blank-slate goal bootstrap

From: Mike Williams (mikew12345@cox.net)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 15:03:17 MDT

This thread for the last few days has been dealing with a mandate to
"minimize pain qualia in all sentient beings" to which I proposed a
change to: "minimize undesirable pain qualia in all sentient beings",
since not all pain is undesirable (hard physical workout, S&M, etc).
Other messages have expanded this into distinctions between pain,
suffering, and fear. I'm trying to envision an FAI's difficulty in
discerning where intervention is required/desired.
Mike

>What does this have to do with anything?

-Robin, whose sister is a midwife.