RE: Universal Morality -Some specific ideas

From: Marc Geddes (marc_geddes@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 19:57:00 MST

 --- Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal@smigrodzki.org> wrote: >
Marc wrote:
> > Ben was asking what I thought the actual content
> of
> > Universal Morality might be. Well, I'll try to
> give a
> > quick sumamry.
> >
> > I've already indicated that I'm skeptical of
> Eliezer's
> > ideas - Volitional Morality. 'Volitional
> Morality' as
> > I understand it, refers to a morality which equate
> > good with the fulfillment of other sentient
> desires,
> > subject to the privisos that the desires are what
> the
> > sentient truly wants, and the desires don't harm
> other
> > sentients.
>
> ### No, no, volitional morality doesn't say "other
> sentients", it simply
> says "true desires should be fulfilled". A FAI would
> be designed to help
> understand and fulfill the desires of "other
> sentients", but existing
> sentients, the ones for whom FAI is supposed to
> work, may decide to pay
> attention to their own wishes.
>
> Rafal

Yup, yup I realize that Rafal. I slipped up slightly
when I was writing the post. But even with your
correction my comments still hold true. Volitional
Morality cannot be the implicit 'ethics of the cosmos'
for the reasons I gave. The concept of 'fulfilling
sentient desires' is meaningless unless there are some
desires to fulfil OTHER than the goal 'fulfill
sentient desires'.

=====
Please visit my web-site at: http://www.prometheuscrack.com

http://au.movies.yahoo.com