Re: [SL4] AI --> Jobless Economy

From: J. Andrew Rogers (andrew@ceruleansystems.com)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 17:05:28 MST

> This is your bad attitude. Heartless and insensitive.
> Stupid.

If you drink lots of alcohol and wake up with a hangover, I should have
sympathy? I think not. I can have a certain level of sympathy for
things caused by random acts of nature that are beyond the control of a
person for all pragmatic purposes, but I see no reason to have sympathy
for things a person chooses to do to themselves, whether tacitly or
explicitly.

If pointing out that the emperor has no clothes is "stupid" and
"heartless", then so be it. I don't have an emotional need to live in a
perpetual Disneyland. The sum total of your response was that what I
wrote didn't feel good to you.

In fact, this is a perfect example of why AGI continues to be a largely
unsolved and unaddressed problem. People let what they want to believe
or are comfortable believing take precedence over seeing the problem as
it is. People want to feel safe and comfortable in their beliefs more
than they want to know the truth.

BTW, the "bad attitude" is yours. My position was qualified optimism.