Re: On the subjective experience of consciousness

From: Paul Hughes (psiphius@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 00:12:42 MST

--- Jef Allbright <jef@jefallbright.net> wrote:

> Because evolution discovered a fitness adaptation
> that involves keeping
> a mental model of the world, as well as a model of
> self, as well as
> reasoning capability, etc. Any time you query that
> system through
> introspection, you're dealing with the model of
> self, and of course it
> (yourself) answers in the first person as expected.

What you just described could happen without an inner
life at all. I could have a video camera (input)
point at the video screen (output), and it then
represents self-awareness without response. Adding in
a response, such as the frequency of feedback to an
actuated motor that moves the camera in response to
said feedback, would represent (albeit primitively) a
'model' of self.

So having a complex model of self still does not
require an inner life in order to function.

Paul