Re: Volitional Morality and Action Judgement

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 21:35:40 MDT

Keith Henson wrote:

> I think frequent backups/checkpoints would be a good idea as well. Some
> of the changes you might regret.

I would really, really prefer to avoid that. Call me loony, but the
idea of waking up one day to find that I had been restored from backup
gives me the cold wiggins. I don't even like losing my dreams when I
wake up each morning. I would prefer that my thread of existence be a
straight line within any given Everett branch.

Also, most of the threats I listed are subtle corruptions, not easily
detectable crashes. It seems to me that if I am too young to survive
without a backup, I am too young to mess around with self-modification.