Re: Volitional Morality and Action Judgement

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 02:36:14 MDT

On May 21, 2004, at 8:35 PM, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:

> Also, most of the threats I listed are subtle corruptions, not easily
> detectable crashes. It seems to me that if I am too young to survive
> without a backup, I am too young to mess around with
> self-modification.

What? You want to program a FAI seed without so much as a delete key
on your keyboard or a source control system? The trick is keeping
some trustworthy means of evaluating the latest changes whether to self
or to the FAI-to-be for desirability and backtracking/re-combining
accordingly. We aren't going to go spelunking into AI or our own
minds without at least blazing a trail.

- samantha