Re: ESSAY: 'Debunking Hippy-Dippy moral philosophy'

From: Metaqualia (metaqualia@mynichi.com)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 02:21:44 MDT

> We have seen that the hippy-dippy ideas that morality
> is just a matter of opinion or perhaps some kind of
> 'social construct' are incoherent. Reasonable people
> must conclude that morality is something objectively
> real, something that we can use reason to discover.
> The first thing we should objectively declare is: No
> more hippy-dippy moral philosophy please!

One more reason why the "morality does not exist" meme is frequent among
science-savvy people: learning math and science and stuff teaches a hard
lesson, that whatever you wish for or think is good, the laws of physics
don't give a damn about it. We are faced with a cosmological indifference
that makes it look like good and evil are only hallucinations in our head.
But the fact that there's nobody out there to give a damn does not imply
that any morality is subjective, equivalent and imperscrutable and has no
connection to the "real world".

mq