Re: Quantum Computing

From: Aaron McBride (themcbrides@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 09:43:51 MDT

Tommy McCabe wrote:

> <clip>
>
>If quantum superpositions collapse when we try to
>observe them, how do we know they exist in the first
>place? According to Heinsberg's uncertainty principle,
>you can't know the exact speed or location of a
>particle, but what does that have to do with spin? And
>the double-slit experiment definetly produces some odd
>results, but again, what does that have to do with a
>particles' spin?

<clip>

The spin of an electron (up or down) can be put in a superposition (both
up and down). This makes it useful for building quantum computers.
Unfortunately, I don't have more detail than that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spintronics
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0007A735-759A-1CDD-B4A8809EC588EEDF

-Aaron