Re: {Semi-Fluff} Anti-Singularitarianism

From: Simon Gordon (sim_dizzy@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 15:59:06 MST

 --- Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org>
wrote:
> The principles of Anti-Singularitarianism are:
>
> 1. All the statements of belief of
> Singularitarianism.
>
> 2. We a clearly living in a simulation which is
> stretched to the
> breaking point (quantum uncertainty, the Pioneer
> anomoly, "dark
> energy", others?) and is probably centered around
> Earth and the
> people on it (Pioneer anomoly).
>
> 3. Bring about the singularity will suddenly, and
> drastically,
> increase the amount of computational power used by
> Earth (due to
> super-intelligences, sudden proliferation of upload
> copies, etc).

But the overall amount of computations is not
increasing, all we are doing is organising them. We
are simply converting natural computations into useful
computations.

> 4. Since they (those running the simulation) can't
> even keep
> quantum objects in one place, they almost certainly
> won't have
> enough computing power to keep up, and will
> terminate the
> simulation.
>
> 5. Therefore, if we achieve the Singularity, the
> world will end.
> The Singularity must be stopped at any cost.

This is illogical. If the world does end because of a
Singularity it will only be the simulated world that
has ended, which doesnt matter right? An individual
consciousness that was terminated would presumably
return to the world where it began prior to entering
the simulation or at least appear in an omega point
simulation. If you imagine this world to be more
futuristic (i.e. better health, better entertainment
etc) than our own world then you should be happy about
this course of events. So the pro-singularity meme and
the simulation meme are not incompatible.

Simon G.