RE: JOIN: Matt Arnold

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 14:59:39 MST

Matt,

You mention Lojban ... I am curious about this language; I have read about
it but haven't learned it...

Do you find it's pragmatically possible to express a wide variety of things
in Lojban? -- including ambiguous emotional, intuitive, creative and
speculative things, i.e. things which are far removed from the formal-logic
foundation of Lojban semantics?

I have often wondered if it would be a good idea to use Lojban to help teach
an AI system.

For our Novamente AI system (www.agiri.org,
http://www.realai.net/AAAI04.pdf), we have an interactive user interface
that allows the system to understand English sentences correctly after some
interaction with the user who corrects the system's misinterpretations, but
this is a cumbersome process. Of course, the system's comprehension
improves gradually, but we're not sure how fast this will be....

I suspect that if we made a Lojban version of our interactive English
system, the system would pick up the language a lot easier.

I understand that Lojban has a completely formal syntax, but syntax
processing isn't all of comprehension -- I don't have a good sense of how
easy a time Novamente would have with Lojban semantics.... I imagine it
would have a pretty easy time since Lojban is loosely based on predicate
logic and Novamente's probabilistic term logic knowledge representation also
shares a lot of aspects with predicate logic.

I stress that this is just a speculative discussion -- being as profoundly
resource-starved as the Novamente project currently is, we're not about to
undertake a speculative side-project like this, but it's interesting to
think about...

Novamente's current treatment of syntax is based on a modified version of
the Link Grammar

http://www.link.cs.cmu.edu/link/

If a similar grammar were created for Lojban then it would be relatively
easy to make a Lojban interface for Novamente. I wonder if you have a sense
for how hard a job it would be to make a grammar of this form for Lojban.
It seems to me like it should be fairly simple -- though NOT trivial --
given the existing yacc parsing rules for Lojban.

-- Ben