Re: Consciousness (Re: physics of uploading minds)

From: Martin Striz (mstriz@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 13:58:02 MDT

I would also add that the theory predicts that basic "unit" of mind or
consciousness would be smallest physical parts necessary for
information encoding/processing. Some people think the most
elementary units of consciousness are microtubules, synapses or single
neurons, but I believe they are patches or minicolumns of neurons
firing synchronously, because these are the basic units of information
encoding. And we know empirically that minor changes to synapse- or
neuron-level organization can occur without a change in conscious
state or the operation of the mind (in fact, it has to be so, because
physiological activity at that level is so noisy).

Martin