RE: IQ - A cautionary tale (Re: The ways of child prodigies)

From: Herb Martin (HerbM@LearnQuick.Com)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 04:09:56 MST

> > I'm wondering whether it's like explaining to a person that's always
> > been blind what colors are like, or whether it's actually possible.
> > It's obvious that someone with an IQ of 130 explaining his
> perception
> > of ideas to a person with an IQ of 70 is not going to work, but how
> > big
> > can the gap get before it becomes impossible? I don't know.
>
> IQ isn't really defined above 140 or so. The tests that are said to
> measure "g" are designed to look at the central range, around, for
> instance, IQ=100. They lack hard questions, and in my experience are
> not effectively "peer-reviewed," so if a person who would score, let's
> say, over 150 IQ, is marked wrong on a question, it's more likely
> because the test-maker made a mistake than because the subject made a
> mistake.

Actually there are IQ tests that are designed for
those with above average intelligence and are valid
instruments in those ranges.

The standard example is the Cattell which is used by
Mensa if you take 'their' test as opposed to using one
you have already passed (e.g., WISC or even the SAT).

--
Herb