Re: IQ - A cautionary tale (Re: The ways of child prodigies)

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 23:10:46 MST

- Marieke Willis <luuknam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering whether it's like explaining to a person that's always
> been blind what colors are like, or whether it's actually possible.
> It's obvious that someone with an IQ of 130 explaining his perception
> of ideas to a person with an IQ of 70 is not going to work, but how
> big
> can the gap get before it becomes impossible? I don't know.

IQ isn't really defined above 140 or so. The tests that are said to
measure "g" are designed to look at the central range, around, for
instance, IQ=100. They lack hard questions, and in my experience are
not effectively "peer-reviewed," so if a person who would score, let's
say, over 150 IQ, is marked wrong on a question, it's more likely
because the test-maker made a mistake than because the subject made a
mistake.

You might have an intuitive notion that this g-scale keeps increasing,
that this thing we call g keeps on being correlated between test
results and with life outcomes. I, personally, think that perhaps the
cluster of intelligences that can be measured as "g" in the mid-range
diverge more at the high end, so that if we had tests capable of
measuring high g scores, we might find that the different tests would
cease to correlate.

- Phil

http://farechase.yahoo.com