Re: Destruction of All Humanity

From: micah glasser (micahglasser@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 10:01:40 MST

I agree with Jef on the importance of having a framework of shared
values/goals. I don't mean anything fancy shmancy when I posit the good as
something objective. What I have in mind is precisely what evolution
programmed us for. I believe that human evolution leads inexorably toward
more efficient societies of humans that are more and more interconnected
through their information technologies. The good is merely human flourishing,
as the Greeks put it. So in my opinion if the term 'benevolent AI' has any
meaning what so ever then it must mean that it either, in no way obstructs
human flourishing (the good) or, preferably, it actually aids and
facilitates this flourishing. What better way to ensure this state then to
program AI to recognize human flourishing as the greatest state of affairs
and to welcome the AI into human society as a fellow, though different,
member. One more thing I must clarify. I believe (for a plethora of reasons)
that all rational agents will necessarily have for their goal increasing the
state of freedom as a super goal of the individual and society. If I am
correct in this (and I am) then it will not be possible to program a truly
rational agent without including achieving greater freedom (power/knowledge)
as a super goal.

--
I swear upon the alter of God, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny
over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson