Re: Not the only way to build an AI [WAS: Please Re-read CAFAI]

From: Jef Allbright (jef@jefallbright.net)
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 10:17:18 MST

On 12/14/05, Richard Loosemore <rpwl@lightlink.com> wrote:
> I am entirely at a loss to know how what you just wrote bears on the
> text that I sent to the list.
>
> Did you mean that what I wrote was in the category of
>
> > <--snip--> // astute points about poorly defined concepts that are
> > meaningless upon deeper inspection
>
> What *I* wrote was meaningless upon deeper inspection???

Well, my statement would have been self-contradictory if it said what
you thought it might have. Since I started by calling them "astute
points", then it would not be likely that I would proceed to refer to
them as "meaningless upon further inspection." Much more likely that
I meant you made astute points about (poorly defined concepts that are
meaningless upon deeper inspection.) Namely, goal statements like
"thinking is good".

I was *supporting* you. Is that so unusual in your experience that
you don't easily recognize it when it occurs?

> And I am not sure what your suggest below is directed at.
>
> Clarification?

Sorry, it seems very clear to me. I don't know what kind of
clarification you want.