Re: Please Re-read CAFAI

From: micah glasser (micahglasser@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 10:29:38 MST

Jef,
I agree with you that 'good' is nothing more than furthering one's goal
regardless of what that goal is in one sense. On the other hand might it not
be possible that there is an objective best trajectory of advancement for
all of mankind, and would this not be 'the good' in an objective sense? If
so, then we would want to ensure that the goal of achieving this objective
good for mankind was also a goal system of an AGI. Also, I would like to
point out that my thinking is certainly informed by modern cognitive
psychology and evolutionary psychology. I just think that far to often
people's philosophical thinking gets mushy because they start trying to
solve philosophical questions in the same way one would solve a scientific
problem. It is often good to go back to the great philosophers of yesteryear
for a refreshing new perspective on present problems of mind.

--
I swear upon the alter of God, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny
over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson