Re: Destruction of All Humanity

From: micah glasser (micahglasser@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 12:29:57 MST

I suppose when dealing with issues of causality and efficacy we begin
dealing with issues of metaphysics in which more than one perspective can be
rationally taken. That said I guess the difference between what I am calling
a rational agent and a simple computational device like a thermostat lies in
the complexity of the modeling and desicion making faculty. The thermostat's
'model of reality' consists merely of a measurement of temperature and it's
action is restricted to the simple goal of maintaining a certain
temperature. So I suppose that this could be considered some form of
rational agency but what I meant was the ability to model the whole system
of physical reality with all of its complexity to the degree that the
environment could be manipulated in more sophisticated ways. So come to
think of it I guess you were right. Let me rephrase what I was calling a
rational agent as a rational agent with modelling powers equal to or greater
than that of a human.
As for the talk about emergent properties and 'top-down' causation I realize
that this claim is contentious and that evidence for this kind of causation
is mostly theoretical but I think that there is something to the claim that
causation can move in more than one direction so to speak. We tend to think
only in terms of linear causation and reductionism but there are many
reasons to believe that this way of thinking, while normally helpful, can
hinder a more in depth understanding of non-linear systems - such as the
human brain.

--
I swear upon the alter of God, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny
over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson