Re: Please Re-read CAFAI

From: micah glasser (micahglasser@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 12:56:03 MST

David,
I realize that my views probably differ from most of the people on this list
but, of course, its always good to hear a different perspective so long as
it is rational and cogent. My background and interests are primarily in
philosophy but I am also a student of cognitive science though I am quite
new to AI theory.
If materialistic reductionism is the correct model of reality (which is very
problematic) then the concept of emergence must mean that the system in
question is merely not fully understood. This conclusion, however, is
questionable.
Whether or not qualia is a contingent phenomenon is precisely what is in
question so to dismiss the question based on what some think is to beg the
question
Point taken on evolution.
As to the argument that humans have consciousness therefor all GI must have
consciousness is equivalent to humans are based on DNA therefor all GI must
be based on DNA. This comparison is specious. I am starting from the
presupposition of functionalism. From this functionalism perspective one
would say that humans are based on an encoded set of instructions (the form
of those instructions is irrelevant) and I would say that if AGI is to be
built it will be based on an engineered set of instructions. So based on
this reasoning I am merely arguing that consciousness COULD have a
functional utility that would imply that any sufficiently intelligent system
might be consciousness. This possibility may turn out to be false but there
is no fallacy contained in the hypothesis.

--
I swear upon the alter of God, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny
over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson