Re: Destruction of All Humanity

From: Olie L (neomorphy@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 21:46:02 MST

>From: Samantha Atkins <sjatkins@gmail.com>
>To: sl4@sl4.org
>Subject: Re: Destruction of All Humanity
>Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:34:32 -0800
>
>Better for whom, Ben?

How about better for the aggregate of sentient beings - human and non human
alike?

(I don't believe the following, I'm devilsadvocating)

It's not that uncommon to believe that "the world" would be better off by
killing particular sets of sentient beings - frinstance, the aggregate of
humans would be better off by killing a set of humans (such as Nazis).

It's not so un-logical to extend this to suggest that all sentient beings
could be better off by removing a small proportionate set of sentient
beings, even if that small proportionate set happens to include an entire
species.

If, for example, there were a set of hypothetical insects (very large in
number), that are sentient and highly intelligent, that humans constantly
and unavoidably killed (think of how often we kill ants, whether we mean to
or not), and furthermore, since these intelligent insects happen to appear
repulsive to us, many humans are strongly predilected to wanting to kill
them, even if those humans should happen to learn that those ugly insects
are sentient. Does the idea of asking 5 billion humans to voluntarily end
their lives, in order to save the lives of many many trillions of insects
seem quite so unreasonable, when considering that the plans of humans could
be perpetuated with AI?

Of course, it does seem far-fetched that there wouldn't be "better" viable
alternatives.

==Out of ridiculous exampleville==

Self sacrifice will never seem like the best choice from the personal
self-interest POV of the sacrificee. However, often our own experiences are
less valuable than our interests. We care more for our childrens' wellbeing
than we do for our experiences of our childrens' wellbeing, and this is not
only our hormones doing the thinking... self-sacrifice can be laudable under
most rational moral systems.

Forcibly killing a person for the betterment of others induces queasiness,
but many humans can find this reasonable... a wise being persuading a person
that it might be in the aggregate good to self-sacrifice can invoke the same
queasiness, but that doesn't mean that such actions cannot be intellectually
defensible.

-- Olie