Re: Free Will not an illusion..

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Sat Dec 24 2005 - 23:39:21 MST

Sat, 24 Dec 2005 "Phillip Huggan"

> If Free Will is not an illusion but AGI
> programmers don't recognize this fact
> in the AGI's goal system, the AGI may tile
> over the Free Will we did have until the
> AGI became "active" in the world.

Who cares? A universe where “Free Will is not an illusion” is identical
to a universe where “Free Will is an illusion” because the term is
meaningless.

> My explanation of Free Will involves some neurology
> and experiments measuring action potentials using
> an EEG I first read in "The Emperor's New Mind".

I have no way of knowing if your explanation is correct or not because I
don’t have a clue what you mean by “Free Will”. I’ll give you an example
of what I mean by the term, and it has nothing to do with action
potentials or quantum mechanics, I have free will if it takes my brain 5
minutes to compute what I will do 5 minutes from now.

John K Clark