Re: SIAI & Kurweil's Singularity

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Tue Dec 27 2005 - 23:34:18 MST

On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 05:27:39PM -0800, Phil Goetz wrote:
> --- 1Arcturus <arcturus12453@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I had another question about SIAI in relation to Kurzweil's
> > latest book Singularity is Near.
> >
> > If I have him right, Kurzweil predicts that humans will
> > gradually merge with their technology - the technology becoming
> > more humanlike, more biological-compatible, and integrating into
> > the human body and mental processes, until eventually the purely
> > 'biological' portion becomes less and less predominant or
> > disappears entirely.
>
> Please don't call it "Kurzweil's Singularity". Neither the ideas
> you mentioned, nor the idea of a Singularity, originate with
> Kurzweil.

However, *Kurzweil's* Singularity differs rather markedly from, say,
*Eliezer's* Singularity.

IOW, I think the sense of possession is different than what you read
it as.

-Robin

Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://intelligence.org/