Re: Actually, Psychological Bulletin is a mainstream publication

From: Damien Broderick (thespike@satx.rr.com)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 10:12:05 MST

At 11:13 AM 12/30/2005 -0500, Jeff Medina wrote:

>Is someone seriously defending parapsychology here?

Me too. I spent several years in research on the topic. I doubt that those
railing against it here have spent as much as two weeks reading diligently
in the relevant technical literature.

>Wow. Painful.

Now there's a killer argument. I'm reminded of the typical response of
ignorati confronted by the idea of AI.

>Sue Blackmore, formerly one of the top parapsychologists, is a good
>antidote to that rubbish...

Blackmore is formerly one of the routine, even mediocre parapsychologists,
for what that's worth.

>Or you can take the following hint and run with it, for it holds the
>key to understanding just how "out-of-body" experiences and various
>other "psi" or "supernatural" experiences are possible without the BS:
>synesthaesia.

Typical confusion/conflation of phenomena. Experiencing sensory derangement
or crosswiring fails to even begin to account for (or indeed have the
slightest relevance to) the vast and cumulatively consistent database of
anomalous results in, for example, the Princeton (PEAR) technical reports.

This topic is bound to be shut down any minute now. Don't look, don't look.

Damien Broderick