Re: Singularity Institute: Likely to win the race to build GAI?

From: H C (lphege@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 20:01:58 MST

>From: Thomas Buckner <tcbevolver@yahoo.com>
>To: sl4@sl4.org
>Subject: Re: Singularity Institute: Likely to win the race to build GAI?
>Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:36:14 -0800 (PST)
>

>--- Joshua Fox <joshua@joshuafox.com> wrote:
>
> > The writings at intelligence.org have made quite an
> > impression on me.
> >
> > Though I am no expert, it appears to me that
> > the Institute is a thought
> > leader in the definition and the creation of
> > FAI.
> >
> > But let me ask: Why does the Institute believe
> > that it has a reasonable
> > chance of leading the world in the construction
> > of a GAI?
>
>What SIAI in general and Eliezer in particular
>are focused on is not merely making a GAI but
>making a Friendly one, that won't extinct,
>enslave, stultify or otherwise ruin us. It's that
>simple.

>By analogy, there are fifty groups trying
>to build a car, but who else is trying to develop
>brakes, belts, and airbags?

ALL of the car builders are building safety features into their cars these
days. The fact is, these things won't save your life. They might
statistically reduce the number of deaths in car accidents, but they don't
functionally prevent fatal car accidents. If SingInst were building cars-
well, they aren't. They are building a seed AI. Which can functionally
prevent all fatal car accidents. To say the least.

> > But let me ask: Why does the Institute believe
> > that it has a reasonable....

Well, what's the alternative? Believe you really don't have a chance? What
would they do in that case? It seems like they would be doing pretty much
the exact same things, minus obviously actually trying to create FAI.

If that were the case... their purpose would be more like "Please make sure
you don't exterminate everybody with your technology" instead of "Here's how
we are going to try to stop everybody from being exterminated with
technology"

It's not a matter of believing in your chances, it's a matter of accepting
the responsibility that reality forces upon you. What a STRANGE question.

-hegem0n