Re: Anti-singularity spam.

From: Philip Goetz (philgoetz@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2006 - 10:36:48 MDT

On 4/13/06, micah glasser <micahglasser@gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course I haven't read the book - but that phrase ""the Internet and the
> PC are not that big a deal". And neither was Gutenberg's press or the Wright
> brother's airplane. Seriously, anyone who would make such a ridiculous
> statement is either a calculating sensationalist or an idiot.

What he said is that the Internet and the PC aren't any more important
than many other earlier developments, and that's true. Corporations,
secure locks, printing, ships that can sail upwind, banks, newspapers,
rifles, democracy, rights, coal, romanticism, economic theory, the
Enlightenment, Newton's laws, interchangeable parts, public schools,
eyeglasses, public libraries, steam power, an end to slavery, the
tractor and the automatic reaper, street lights, evolution, vaccines,
electricity, explosives, sanitation, police, tanks, machine guns,
antibiotics, airplanes, the assembly line, marketing, recorded music,
radio, quantum mechanics, insurance, income tax, social security,
phones, nuclear weapons, televisions, cars, indoor plumbing, air
conditioning, elimination of smallpox, environmentalism, civil rights,
rockety, globalization - which one of these has been less important
than the internet or the PC?