Re: What's going on this decade?

From: Charles D Hixson (charleshixsn@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2006 - 19:33:45 MDT

Philip Goetz wrote:
> On 8/9/06, Charles D Hixson <charleshixsn@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> ...If you want a look at that thinking, look at who in the
>> US is funding robots. Now look at who in Japan. See the difference?
>
> I suppose you mean that in Japan, toy companies fund robotics, while
> in the US, the military does. But I have a friend at iRobot (or
> whatever they call themselves after the last merger) who says that
> their most interesting (and secret) work is with commercial companies.
> Stuff like the Roomba vacuuming robot.
Toy companies, yes. But they're also working towards human-services.
This isn't really practical yet, but that's a part of the focus. I'm
not convinced about "uncanny valley", but even considering the concept
is a significant point of where the interest is. Guys who make robots
that imitate a TV star in appearance. Think about that for a bit. What
does that say about where their focus is. True it's not to the point
yet of practicality, but it's getting closer. And that professor who
made himself a robot "double", and had it give some of his lectures.
Yes, it's impractical. But what does it say about the focus.