Re: Separate Copies Contribute Separately to One's Runtime

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2008 - 17:28:20 MST

Damien Broderick wrote:
> At 11:52 AM 3/7/2008 -0800, Eliezer wrote:
>
>> If you flip a fair quantum coin, have your exoself generate 100
>> separated isomorphic copies of you conditional on the coin coming up
>> heads, then, when (all of) you are about to look at the coin, should
>> your subjective anticipation of seeing "heads" be 1:1 or 100:1?
>
> Since presumably you are not informed when you've been copied, 100:1.
> What else could it be? There are 100 ways of seeing heads and 1 of
> seeing tails.

Okay, so, after I all see the coin - in an algorithmically isomorphic
way - merge my separated copies.

Oh, look, by briefly expending a bit of extra computing power, I can
control the outcome of coinflips - though not in a way that any
watcher would detect.

Unverifiable psychic powers! I can see them, but you can't! What fun...