Re: Objective Meaning Must Exhibit Isomorphism

From: Stathis Papaioannou (
Date: Sun Mar 09 2008 - 01:01:35 MST

On 09/03/2008, Lee Corbin <> wrote:

> > If the programmer saves the end of Monday on a USB key, walks over to
> > the computer a few metres away, loads the data and starts up Tuesday,
> > is there still a loss of consciousness?
> No. No loss of consciousness. Good question, I think, because
> the incredibly tiny loss of consciousness I was talking about
> occurred because some state was uncomputed from any previous
> state. That is, is in some faraway place all the Tuesday computations
> begin, and the first Tuesday state arose by chance (or from some
> irrelevant backup), then one iota of consciousness was lost.

I don't see how what you suggest is possible. A computer, or a brain,
is a finite state machine. We might note that Monday = {Si...Sj} and
Tuesday = {Sm...Sn}, i.e. a discrete number of states covering each of
the days. Where is the extra information that allows the observer's
experience to differ depending on whether the computations are
causally connected?

Stathis Papaioannou