Re: Is a Person One or Many?

From: John K Clark (
Date: Sun Mar 09 2008 - 11:18:17 MDT

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:35:01 +1100, "Stathis Papaioannou"
<> said:

> paradoxes of personal identity

I am unaware of any logical paradoxes concerning personal identity. I
can think of some odd situations but they are unusual only because up to
now technology has been unable to do certain things; someday that will

> are due to the fact that it is subjective.
> I am programmed to believe

So what? Subjectivity must be caused by something and programming is an
excellent guess.

> that there is only one version of me
> persisting through time.

And that programming does a remarkably good job too, as a result
something about the you of yesterday survives today and if you are lucky
the same thing will happen to you tomorrow.

> This profoundly ingrained belief causes
> problems when we start talking
> about copying people.

Not with me.

  John K Clark

  John K Clark
-- - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
                          love email again