Re: Is a Person One or Many?

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2008 - 11:38:22 MDT

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 18:40:56 +1100, "Stathis Papaioannou"
<stathisp@gmail.com> said:

> revise the definition to specify that it isn't "me" if
> it occupies a different volume of space at a particular
> time. Who is to say that the new definition is wrong?

How do you know you occupy a different volume of space? You must be in a
symmetrical room with your copy or you’d be seeing different things and
your exact copy would no longer be exact. Suppose I show you a button
and claim if you push it you and your copy will instantly change
positions, you push the button and of course absolutely nothing seems to
have happened. You can’t even tell if I was telling the truth, the
button may be connected to nothing, there is no way to know and no
reason to care.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark